School Daze

Creative Commons License Lyn Lomasi via Compfight
Classroom Materials      School…my favorite place in the whole world! I bet you believe that one, right??? 😉 In all seriousness, school is alright. Let me give you a little peek at my school day. I get up bright and early because school starts at 7:35 am. Then I run off to my homeroom where we work on Rosetta Stone on Chromebooks so that we can learn a second language. Next I go to my 1st period, Pre-Algebra Math. We have math book pages for homework each night if we don’t finish it in class. After that I have 2nd period which is English Language Arts class, where we do lessons on grammar and punctuation and then take tests on what we learned. In language arts we also work on the 20% project on Fridays and literature circles on Mondays and Thursdays. A literature circle is a group of people that read a book and then discuss what the book was about, what they think is going to happen in the book, words that were new to them in the book, passages that they think were interesting, and they summarize the book. Moving on, my 3rd period is Science class where we do experiments using the Scientific Method. 4th period is Social Studies class where we learn about the world and the culture of its people. Then I have 5th period, Project-Based-Learning class, which by the name you probably can tell that PBL is all about doing projects and working with a group. Right now in PBL we are working on a social studies project, 1956 Selmer Mark VI Saxophoneblogging, (of course), and we work on our 20% project every Fridays. Not everyone takes PBL. Other 6th graders are in core extension classes. Next everyone in the 6th grade eats a DELICIOUS lunch!! After that we have Advisory where you can work homework assignments, you can talk to teachers, or just work on anything that you need to work on. Advisory lasts for 15 minutes. On we go to 6th period, Choir. We sing and perform music pieces in choir. Finally, we have 7th period which is Band. I play the Alto Saxophone!! Choir and Band are elective classes. Not everyone chooses to take these.  People who don’t take Choir or Band rotate each term through Arts and Humanities classes, like Art and Drama. My school day wraps up at 2:35 and then it is time to go home.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Creative Commons License likeaduck via Compfight

There are roughly 175 days in the school year depending on if we get snow days. We start the school year in mid-August and end usually at the end of May. We have several breaks throughout the year.  In the Fall, we have Fall Break on a Monday and Friday.  We also have a break for Thanksgiving in which we get Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday off.  In the winter, we get nearly two weeks off for Winter Break which spans over Christmas and New Years.  We also get a week of Spring Break in April.  There are a few teacher training days sprinkled throughout the year. And then my favorite break….SUMMER BREAK!!!  We get roughly two and half months off!

SCHOOL means HOMEWORK…….!